What is Organic Farming?
Organic Farming it is not a new concept. But it demands for today’s environment. We have challenges to grow food organically. Organic Farming is a type of Agriculture under which such agricultural activities inputs and measures are used which have minimal or no harmful effect on the surrounding environment, animals and human being. The terms organic Agriculture and organic Farming are mentioned here as synonyms only.
Organic Farming is increasing both in size and type in the world for environmental and health benefits. Now a day unbalanced use of chemical fertilizers and pesticides pollution of water and land and residues of chemicals in produced food grains and other preserved food items are adversely affecting human health.
Today organic Farming is an important option in view of the negative aspects of commercial Farming rising prices of agricultural inputs and increasing efforts to find alternative Agriculture that promotes sustainability. Basically organic Farming is an advanced method of Farming in which sustainable production is achieved without polluting the environment for a long time while maintaining the vitality of the land water quality and biodiversity etc.
You will be surprised to know that today certified organic Farming is being done in about 172 countries of the world. In the year 2015-16 43.7 million hectares of area was under organic Agriculture in the world.
According to the recommendation of the Planning Commission 10-15 percent of the total cultivated area of India can be brought under organic Farming. Conditions of easy change exist in organic Farming but the availability of organic Farming package for crops cost of certification and lack of right price of organic products in the market are the main obstacles in promoting organic Farming in this state.
How to do Certified Organic Agriculture?
In the process of certified organic Agriculture the term ‘organic‘ is a labeling standard that indicates that the producer has fully complied with the established standards relating to the accepted crop production or processing system of organic Agriculture by recognized institutions.
Under certified organic Farming organic certification of a farm or land area requires the applicant or producer to follow organic standards in a systematic manner. The work of organic Farming certification is valid only after going through a certain process in which the standards set by the Government of India have to be followed by the guidelines of “National Organic Production Standards (NSOP)”.
These standards mainly designed to keeping in mind the following things the use of synthetic chemical agricultural inputs like fertilizers, pesticides and pesticides restrictions in agricultural production.
The land used in organic Farming is being used for production has been free from chemicals for at least 2-3 years. We have to maintain material separation of organic products from degraded products. We must do inspection audit work by such production organization from time to time.
Organic Farming – Basic Requirements
Farmers need to be aware of four main things before transitioning from traditional Agriculture to organic Farming:
- Knowledge of Biological Standards or to take training of these standards
- Knowledge of the certification / regulatory mechanism in the country
- Availability of related organic production/processing technology
- Last but the most important Organic production based on market network information
Organic Agriculture is based on the concept of incorporation of Good Agricultural Practices (GAP) in all aspects from production to use. Food requirement development of new agricultural techniques open trade, social and health and environmental aspects, were added as links in the gradual development of organic Agriculture over time.
Therefore today traditional organic Farming has taken the form of modern certified organic Agriculture in which special attention is given to market and customer related aspects along with good agricultural practices.
Different types of organic Farming
- Natural Farming
- zero budget natural Farming
- Biodynamic Agriculture
- Pure organic Farming
Basic and important key points to start organic Farming:
- Name for one integrated unit out of organic management of units like crop horticulture, animal husbandry, food processing etc.
- Obtaining restrained unit information.
- To acquire knowledge of organic Agriculture Satswanka certification institutions.
- Determination of the suitability of the farm or area along with the area for organic Farming.
How to prepare of action plan for organic Farming?
To arrange for inputs agricultural techniques and resource management related to the conversion period. Instant information to start organic Farming
- Prepare a list of general information of farm related geographical location, area and resources in an accounting register.
- Make a list of Agriculture related works and crops done in the last five years.
- Take samples of soil and water and get the report done after getting tested in the concerned agricultural institute.
- If you want to export organic products then contact the certification institutions recognized by the Government of India and apply for organic certification (single or group certification) related documents and get the registration done.
- Prepare a plan for organic management of crops and other agricultural related enterprises in which the name of the crop or Agriculture related enterprise area and level of production and the details of the coordinated work expansion of cropping system animal husbandry and related enterprises in future.
- Based on the advice and reports of the certification bodies decide the action plan.
Best Employment opportunities in organic Agriculture:
The organic market in the world is growing at the rate of 10-20 percent. The need for organic inputs in the trade of organic products development and dissemination of new technologies etc. the need for trained human resources is increasing in the field of organic Agriculture.
Organic Farming is a self-farm as well as a business activity in which there are ample opportunities for entrepreneurship development and employment in the field of organic input production units, processing units, research organizations, information and technology management centers, advisory service centers, quality testing centers etc. For employment purpose you can create details of following opportunities those are as follows:
- Organic Agriculture Clinic Development of organic Agriculture clinic is the need of the hour to solve the problems related to organic Agriculture. This is a new employment opportunity for agricultural graduates and entrepreneurs.
- Production of organic inputs: – The demand for various inputs related to organic Agriculture is gradually increasing in the market, so new opportunities can be obtained in the market by commercial production of compost, bio-pesticides, herbal extracts etc. A
- Service provider: Persons or organizations having a good understanding of organic Agriculture can do the work of service provider in the organic Farming sector by getting training from APEDA.
- Production of Organic Seeds and Nursery Plants :- Availability of organic seeds is negligible in the market. Therefore, new work area of certified organic seeds as well as nursery seedlings can be developed.
- Dairy Development :- Individual or group employment opportunities can be created in the field of organic milk and related products.
- Development of new products: – Development of environmentally friendly new types of inputs on the basis of organic production principles is an important challenge, for which entrepreneurs and trained human resources in Agriculture can start working together.
- Information Management: Organic Agriculture requires specialist services for quick access to information on market research, consumer surveys, premium prices, government incentive programs, etc. This can be a new and good business for willing and accomplished people.
- Opening of Training Centers Special skill development centers can be opened to develop understanding about organic Farming.
9. Establishment of certification body: – Competent person can start certification body on the basis of international standards as per market requirement.
10. Establishment of Model Organic Farm / Organic Gaushala: – By establishing an ecological model farm for crop production, dairy or mixed Farming, the market demand for specific organic products can be met and good profits can be earned by becoming reliable in international trade.
11. Eco-Excursion:- There is increasing interest of people in eco-excursion to organic farms and naturally maintained places where people prefer organic food, food etc. arrangements. The trend of organic Farming farm visits is increasing in India.