10 medicinal plants that you can grow in your Home
Every house has some medicinal plant in their garden which they use to treat themselves from certain ailments or diseases. Medicinal Plants are termed to be the healing elements of our Nature. In the olden days, when the medical field had not been developed so much, there were these people who treated their diseases through certain plants. Our grandparents always tell us stories about their childhood when they used to eat these plants when they got ill because at that time these plants were the only medicines, and that was considered the best thing as it didn’t have any side effects also.
Also in these modern days, they prescribe us these natural remedies whenever we get ill, like ‘Tulsi‘ plants whenever we get flu or any infection, ‘Ginger’ when we catch cold, etc. These plants are very familiar to our ancestors from thousands of years ago.
What is Smart Community Irrigation?
The World Health Organization (WHO) has also estimated that about 80% of the world population still use these traditional remedies, including medicinal plants as their primary health care tool and they are even the source of many other important modern day drugs.
Here in this article, we will see about ten medicinal plants that are very beneficial for maintaining our health and which we can grow at our home with ease.
Importance of Medicinal plants
Medicinal plants have many beneficial properties which help us treat our ailments and it can be consumed in various ways, either by directly eating it as a pill or it is even used as an essential oil, or it is consumed with teas.
It helps us:
- get relief from headaches
- relief from constipation
- treats irritation from bug bites
- creates positive energy all around
- reduces stress
- reduces fever and many more
There are about hundreds of medicinal herbs and plants that serve healthy purposes due to their:
- insect repellent, and
- pain relief properties.
10 Medicinal plants to grow at home
Moringa Cultivation Guide For Beginners.
There are a list of Medicinal plants such as ginger, garlic, aloevera, tulsi, peppermint, lavender, catnip, etc to name a few; that we can grow at our home which are very useful to us and they also thrive in our home which produces positive energy all around making us feel fresh and active every time. These plants can be grown easily at our home and they require very little care.
- Basil (Tulsi)
Basil is a common herb with scientific name as Ocimum basilicum to fight common ailments because of the Vitamins (Vitamin K) and minerals (Iron) present in it.It is also used to decorate our salads, pasta and other meals to add flavor.
Holy basil which is referred as ‘Tulsi’ is a very sacred plant that is consumed in teas and ointments to treat fever and diabetes. Holy basil has a much stronger taste than other basil plants. It is an incredible herb with great medicinal and spiritual characteristics which has been proven in many scientific studies. The herb is highly effective in preventing our body from various infections and certain diseases of heart, liver, skin, kidney etc. It is even called the ‘Queen of herbs’. The leaves of Tulsi plant are rich in Vitamin A, C and K and also rich in Minerals like Calcium, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Iron and Potassium. It also has Proteins and Fibre.
It reduces stress
- It boosts our immune power & metabolism
- It improves digestion
- It reduces inflammation & swelling
- It also prevents from any harmful effects of aging
- It have strong antibacterial properties
- Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera or Aloe barbadensis is the most common plant in every home as it is very easy to grow and has many medicinal benefits too. It has very thick and fleshy leaves, green- grey colored, growing up to 60-100 cm. The margin of the leaves are serrated and have small white teeths. It is basically used to treat skin injuries but it also has many other health benefits.
- It contains healthful plant compounds
- It has antioxidant and antibacterial properties
- It helps in healing the wounds, cuts & burns quickly
- It reduces dental plaque
- It helps in treating mouth ulcers
- It reduces constipation
- It improves skin elasticity & prevent wrinkles
- It lowers blood sugar levels
- It reduces inflammation
What is Artificial Intelligence In Agriculture?
- Thyme (Ajwain)
Thyme or Thymus vulgaris is a good herb used for cooking. It has strong antibacterial and antifungal properties due to the presence of thymol compounds in it. It is used for mouthwash and vapor rubs. It decontaminates the food preventing food borne illness. The seeds are added in many Indian curries due to its strong aroma and flavour. The seeds are rich in fibre, minerals, vitamins, and antioxidants, which can be consumed raw, or added to water or tea for maximum benefits.
- It reduces pain in sore throats and cough
- It helps in curing Respiratory ailments
- It provides support to the immune system
- It improves circulation of blood
- It lowers Blood pressure
- It aids in improving heart health
- It also take care of our Eyes by improving the vision
- It reduces stress
Dandelion or Taraxacum is a perennial plant with yellow flowers. The plant has many beneficial purposes and every part of the plant has health benefits, such as, its roots are consumed in tea, leaves are used as herbs in dishes, sap is used for skin. The plant is rich in Vitamins (K&C), Calcium, Iron, etc which are useful for strong bones and liver. The plant is even consumed raw as a pill.
Best Method To Grow Cauliflower In India.
It detoxifies the liver
- It helps in improving your bone health
- It cures urinary infections
- It provides antioxidants
- It reduces cholesterol
- It regulates blood sugar levels
- It reduces inflammation
- It lowers blood pressure
- It helps in achieving weight loss goals
- It reduces the risk of Cancer
- It boosts the immune system
- It helps in digestion
- It keeps your skin healthy
Peppermint or ‘Mentha piperita’ is a fresh herb which is the easiest to grow at homes which adds loads of flavors to your food. This plant requires minimal care and can be very beneficial for breastfeeding mothers for preventing nipple crack and nipple pain.
This herb receives nausea, stomach pains, and muscle pains. It makes a tasty tea and is good for pregnant mothers who suffer from irregular morning sickness. It also relieves skin pain and acts as a cooling agent for skin infected by insect bites.
Best Methods For The Integrated Pest management.
- It reduces gas & indigestion
- It treats bad breath
- It helps to get relief from allergies and headaches
- It has a good antibacterial property
- It receives from itchy skin
Rosemary or Rosmarinus officinalis is the most popular healing herb in the world used for cooking & culinary purposes. It has a pleasant fragrance and taste with anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties rich in essential nutrients like Iron, Calcium, and Vitamins A, C, & B6.
It improves blood circulation
- It enhances all brain functions acting as a ‘cognitive stimulant’
- It supports hair growth and liver health
- It treats bad breath
- It helps relieve indigestion
- It has antioxidant and antimicrobial properties
- It promotes metabolism
Brahmi or Bacopa monnieri is a perennial plant which is very easy to grow into plants just by cutting a leaf along with stem and plant it in a pot of water and in a week time it starts growing. The herb is mostly known for its memory enhancing property. It has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
How Can You Convert Your Farm Into Organic Farm?
- It is used to cure epilepsy
- It acts as an anti aging element
- It is very effective in improving memory, anxiety & depression
- It prevents hair loss
- It disinfects the skin
- It helps in curing bowel syndrome
- It reduces chronic pains
Ginger or Zingiber officinale is a flowering plant whose root is known as ‘rhizome’. It is widely used as a spice in Indian dishes or as folk medicine. It is a perennial herb with a pleasing flavour used as a seasoning in Indian recipes. It is used fresh, dried, powdered, or as oil or juice.
It contains gingerol which has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant effect
- It treats nausea
- It prevents weight gain
- It helps to cure osteoarthritis
- It lowers blood sugar levels and improve heart diseases risk factors
- It treats chronic indigestion
- It reduces menstrual pain
- It lowers cholesterol level
- It prevents Cancer
- It fights from infection
Marigold or Calendula officinalis is a registered homeopathic drug which acts as a natural remedy for many infections. It is known to be anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, antifungal, antibacterial, antispasmodic, antiviral and antiseptic. It also has wound healing properties. It not only keeps our body healthy but it also keeps the insects away. The flowers are very dazzling and eye-catching. It is even sprinkled in dishes for decoration.
How Can You Do Weed Management in Organic Agriculture?
- It improves skin health and treats acne, dermatitis, burns & inflammatory skin conditions
- It treats ear infection & pain
- It reduces inflammation
- It protects your vision & treats conjunctivitis
- It heals wounds & repairs tissues
- It treats fever
- It improves gum health & prevents bleeding
- It cures fungal infections
- It stops hemorrhoid bleeding
- It eases cramps & digestive problems
Giloy or Tinospora cordifolia is a herbaceous vine which is used to treat various disorders. It offers many medicinal and therapeutic benefits and has occupied a prominent place in Ayurveda. It is a large, deciduous, climbing shrub with several elongated branches and is useful in treating liver damage.
It enhances immunity
- It protects from diseases like gout and rheumatoid arthritis due to its anti-inflammatory property
- It supports digestive health
- It stabilizes blood sugar & lipid levels
- It enhances mental health relieving stress, anxiety & depression
- It protects from infectious diseases due to its antibacterial property
- It acts as a blood cleanser
- It acts as an anti ageing agent
- It is effective in treating blood cancer
- It cures menorrhagia
- It cures respiratory disorders
These were the medicinal plants which you can grow at the ease of your home just by providing proper care and management. Every plant grows well when it is looked after and is provided with proper sunlight, water and well drained soil. You just need to study about each plant that you want to grow in your homes, the process of growing it and you can even contact your local officer of the agriculture unit so that you can grow it well & profoundly.