Top 10 Herbs That Good for Health
Being a chopped Parsley on top of Pasta or Oregano sprinkled on Pizza or a sprig of Rosemary stewed with meats and potatoes, Herbs have the tendency to bring a unique delicacy and flavor to every kind of food. Their benefits are far beyond this as it is not just used for the seasoning and flavor but it comes with a lot more health benefits.
And it’s not a wonder as to why these Herbs have been used since ancient times for everything from sleep aids to fever reducers.
Herbs are superfoods that help in digesting the dishes in which they are added to, aids in the functioning of a heart in a more way and to improve overall health in the body. They are natural medicines for the treatment of a lot of health conditions.
The herb plants are either collected from the wild or are intentionally grown for its medicinal or curative value and are called as Healing Herbs or Medicinal plants and they have been used since 1000 of years to treat many types of ailments, pain and diseases. These medicinal plants are composed of leaves, bark, stems, roots, seeds and flowers which are used to create herbal remedies.
Read More: Moringa Cultivation Guide For Beginners.
Modern science has now begun to uncover the ultimate medicinal power of these Herbs as effective weapons against different types of illnesses from common health problems to cancer and therefore these Herbs, both fresh and dried, are readily available in the market.
Herbs are an effective way to support balance for your body and mind and According to World Health Organisation, Good health is defined as a ‘state of complete physical mental and social well being, rather than merely the absence of disease or infirmity‘, so it is good to turn to Herbs for good health which have a long history of use.
Here, in this article, we will discuss the top 10 Herbs that are best known for sustaining good health.
Importance of Medicinal Herbs
Healing Herbs have many beneficial properties which help in the treatment of many ailments and it can be consumed in various ways, either by directly eating it as a pill or it is even used as an essential oil, or it is consumed with teas.
Read more: Top Ten Medicinal Plant That You Can Grow In Home
It helps us in the following ways:
- get relief from headaches
- relief from constipation
- treats irritation from bug bites
- creates positive energy all around
- reduces stress
- reduces fever and many more
There are many medicinal Herbs and plants that serve healthy purposes because of their:
- insect repellent, and
- pain relief properties.
Read More:Top Ten Air Cleaning Plant For Your Home Office & Garden
Top 10 Herbs that improve your Health
There are a lot of Herbs such as Basil, Chamomile, Echinacea, Parsley, Peppermint etc. to name a few, which are very useful to us providing a lot of health benefits.
Basil is a common herb to fight common ailments because it has a rich source of Vitamins (Vitamin K) and minerals (Iron) present in it.
Holy Basil which is referred as ‘Tulsi’ is a very sacred plant and is consumed with teas and is also used as an ointment to treat fever and diabetes. Holy Basil is highly effective in preventing our body from various infections and certain diseases of heart, liver, skin, kidney etc. It is even called the ‘Queen of Herbs’. The leaves of Tulsi plant have a rich source of Vitamin A, C and K and are also rich in Minerals like Calcium, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Iron and Potassium. It also has Proteins and Fibre.
- It reduces stress
- It boosts our immune power & metabolism
- It improves digestion
- It reduces inflammation & swelling
- It also prevents from any harmful effects of aging
- It have strong antibacterial properties
Read More: How Will You Add Herbs In Your Diet?
Thyme has strong antibacterial and antifungal properties due to the presence of Thymol compounds in it. The herb is used for mouthwash and vapor rubs. It decontaminates the food in which it is used, preventing food borne illness. The seeds have a strong aroma and flavour and are rich in fibre, minerals, vitamins, and antioxidants. The herb can be consumed raw, or can be added to water or tea for maximum benefits.
- It reduces pain in sore throats and cough
- It helps in curing Respiratory ailments
- It provides support to the immune system
- It improves circulation of blood
- It lowers Blood pressure
- It aids in improving heart health
- It also take care of our Eyes by improving the vision
- It reduces stress
Read More: Amla Farming Project For Beginners
Peppermint adds loads of flavors to your food and is very beneficial for breastfeeding mothers in preventing nipple crack and nipple pain. This herb relieves nausea, stomach pains, and muscle pains. It creates a great taste when added to tea and is good for pregnant mothers suffering from irregular morning sickness. It also relieves skin pain and acts as a cooling agent for skin infected by insect bites.
- It reduces gas & indigestion
- It treats bad breath
- It helps to get relief from allergies and headaches
- It has a good antibacterial property
- It receives from itchy skin
Read More: Peppermint Farming Information Guide
Rosemary is the most popular healing herb in the world and is used for cooking & culinary purposes as well. It comes with a pleasant fragrance and taste with anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties as well. The herb is rich in essential nutrients like Iron, Calcium, and Vitamins A, C, & B6.
- It improves blood circulation
- It enhances all brain functions acting as a ‘cognitive stimulant’
- It supports hair growth and liver health
- It treats bad breath
- It helps relieve indigestion
- It has antioxidant and antimicrobial properties
- It promotes metabolism
Read More: How To Start Vegetable Gardening In Containers?
Oregano is a very commonly used herb having a superb taste and aroma with lots of health benefits. The herb contains two powerful compounds, Carvacrol and Thymol having antibacterial and antifungal properties. Apart from this, it also has antioxidant, anti microbial, anti inflammatory, carminative, diuretic and expectorant properties as well.
- It helps in the treatment of common cold and break up nasal congestion
- It helps in boosting immunity
- It helps in relieving from menstrual cramps
- It improves heart health
- It reduces adrenal fatigue
- It combats toothaches
- It also helps in preventing and treating high blood sugar levels
Read More: Cardamom Farming project for Beginners.
Ginger is a flowering plant whose root is known as ‘rhizome’. It is widely used as a spice in many Indian dishes or as folk medicine. However, It is a perennial herb that has a pleasing flavour and is used in Indian recipes for seasoning purpose. It is either used fresh, dried, powdered, or as oil or juice.
- It contains Gingerol which has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant effect
- It treats nausea
- It prevents weight gain
- It helps to cure osteoarthritis
- It lowers blood sugar levels and improve heart diseases risk factors
- It treats chronic indigestion
- It reduces menstrual pain
- It lowers cholesterol level
- It prevents Cancer
- It fights from infection
Read More: Basil GFarming Information Guide For Beginners.
Dandelion is a perennial plant having yellow flowers with many beneficial properties. Almost every part of the plant has some health benefits, such as, its roots are consumed in tea, leaves are used as Herbs in dishes, sap is used for skin. The plant has a rich source of Vitamins (K&C), and minerals such as Calcium, Iron, etc which are useful for making the bones and liver strong. The plant can even be consumed raw as a pill.
- It detoxifies the liver
- It helps in improving your bone health
- It cures urinary infections
- It provides antioxidants
- It reduces cholesterol
- It regulates blood sugar levels
- It reduces inflammation
- It lowers blood pressure
- It helps in achieving weight loss goals
- It reduces the risk of Cancer
- It boosts the immune system
- It helps in digestion
- It keeps your skin healthy
Read more: Lemongrass farming Project for beginners.
Sage has a taste of pepper and it has been used for centuries to flavour foods. It has great healing and medicinal powers and it is used in Teas to reduce fever and it promotes sweating. According to new research, it has been shown that Sage helps with memory loss and Alzheimer disease by inhibiting the loss of acetylcholine messenger in the brain that is often found in reduced quantities in patients suffering from Alzheimer’s disease.
It is used for medicinal purposes because of its stimulant, antibiotic, astringent, tonic and carminative properties. It has a rich source of volatile oils and flavonoids and it also contains anti hypertensive, anti diabetic, anti inflammatory and antimicrobial properties.
- It boosts mood
- It helps in relieving anxiety
- It helps in soothing sore throat
- It boosts immunity
- It aids in weight loss
- It reduces inflammation
- It promotes sound sleep
- It lowers cholesterol and blood pressure levels
Read more: Top ten bealth benefits of being vegetarian
Echinacea is a supplement derived from the Coneflower plant, often referred to as Purple Coneflower and is best known for targeting the immune system and it helps in preventing colds. The herb is known to fight viruses.
- It serves as a pain reliever for gonorrhea, measles, sore throat, herpes and tonsillitis.
- It has the capability of speeding up wound healing.
- It is used for skin infections, Psoriasis, arthropod bites and snake bites.
- It serves as a natural remedy for children’s suffering from ADHD.
- It has superb immune boosting effects.
- It helps in relieving from issues of respiratory system
- It helps in treating common cold
- It helps with upper respiratory infections and bronchitis infections.
- It helps in treating inflammation
- It helps with ear infections
- It helps with vaginitis
- It helps in treating yeast infections.
Read more: How to start herbs farming?
Chamomile is a versatile healthy herb which improves health in many ways because of its anti irritant, anti inflammatory, anti microbial, anti anxiety, antispasmodic, anti diarrheal and anti cancer properties. It is known to be the best herb when used with tea and is considered “likely safe” according to the National Centre for Complementary and Integrative Health.
- It is used in the treatment of skin conditions like eczema.
- It helps women to get relief from menstrual pain.
- It helps in boosting the immune system
- It helps in the treatment of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
- It relieves headaches
- It reduces muscle pain
- It keeps stress under control
- It treats stomach disorders
- It supports weight loss
- It treats insomnia and other sleep disorders
- It helps in protecting your body from age accelerating free radicals
- It is beneficial for managing knee osteoarthritis
- It helps with ulcerative colitis
- It reduces inflammation and swelling