Healthy seedling can be grown with this method so that bumper yield can be grown. By this method seedlings of different vegetables are prepared in two types of plastic pro-trays. The size of the holes in a pro-tray should be 1.0 to 1.5 square inches. In this, seedlings of capsicum, cauliflower, cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, chilli salad and can be prepared. We must know this type of plantation can be adopted as small scale industry in urban areas.
Nowadays plastic trays with 96 or some time different holes are easily available in the Indian markets. Which can be used for growing seedlings? Now in these pro-tres, a mixture of perlite, vermiculite cocopite in the ratio 1:1:3 can be prepared and used as a soilless medium.
Usually these three mediums are completely sterile. Now a seed is sown in each hole of the tray and later a thin layer of vermiculite is poured over the seed and in winter season each tray can be kept for germination in a room where the temperature is about 24 C. 25 ° C, so that the germination of seeds can be done quickly and properly. After germination, all trays can be spread on a platform or floor in a greenhouse or other protected area, or they can be placed on a floor made of bricks.
Out of the above medium, cocopite is made from the fibers present on the shell of the coconut and it acts as a medium for the growth of the roots. Perlite is prepared by heating the material from rocks of volcanic origin to extremely high temperatures (980 °C). This medium also helps in providing proper air between the drainage and the mixer of the mediums. It is a very light white colored medium, a part of which is mixed in a medium mixer.
The heater can be used at night in a greenhouse or other protected area while preparing the seedlings in winter and this heater can be used at night when the temperature is below 13 or 14°. In winter, 70 ppm solution is prepared by mixing Nitrogen, Phosphorus and Potash in 1:1:1 ratio in the initial stage of seedlings and later this quantity is 140 ppm. per week and sometimes increased to 200 ppm solution.
Manure and water can be given by a special type of boom system or sprinkler system, so that manure and water can go to all the trays in the same way and the growth and quality of the plant remains the same. After sowing the seeds in summer, there is no need to keep the tray in the room for germination and manure is given in the amount of 70 ppm.
A special type of growth regulator solution should also be sprayed once on the plant. It is sprayed only when the day temperature is between 20 to 30 degrees Celsius. For the application of manure, a spray boom system or a normal spray can be used. Through this, all the fertilizers and solution are given to the plant from time to time. Thus by this technique it takes 28 to 30 days to prepare the seedlings in winter season. The prepared seedlings are removed along with the medium and transplanted into the main field.
A network of roots is spread around the medium, which shows the energy and quality of the plant. The plant can be packed and transported along with the medium for sending it to distant places. If the seedlings of pumpkin varieties are prepared in the summer season, then it takes a total of 12 to 15 days. In preparing the plant by this technique, the development of roots in the plant is very good and more.
Advantages of preparing seedlings by modern technology
- In this way, seedlings can be prepared in less time. Especially in the winter season, where it takes 50 to 60 days to prepare the seedlings of a crop like tomato in the beds in the open environment outside whereas by this technique healthy and high quality seedlings are prepared in just 28 to 30 days.
- The amount of seed can also be significantly reduced, as by this method each seed is sown in separate holes so that each seed gives healthy seedlings.
- The plant can be protected from all kinds of earth-borne diseases and germs and most importantly, the plant can be saved from the outbreak of viral diseases.
- When the seedlings are prepared in the beds outside, the death capacity of the plants is about 10 to 15 percent due to root breakage while uprooting the plant. But there is no possibility of death of a single plant in the plant prepared by this technique. Due to this the plant does not even get a plant shock.
- Roots are more developed and longer in the plant, due to which the plant is more and more powerful.
- The seedlings thus prepared get established in the main field in a very short time after transplanting whereas the seedlings grown outside take several days to establish in the main field.
- In this way, seedlings of any vegetable crop can be prepared at any time by the technique of protected seedlings. Especially for growing the crop before the season so that more profit can be earned through off-season vegetable production. Plants of pumpkin vegetables are also prepared very easily by this method which was not possible earlier in the beds.
- This type of plant is of high quality, from which more production can be taken. The sapling thus prepared after proper packing can be sent far away to such a place where it is not possible to prepare it in that season or such technology is not available.
- Due to the very costly seed of hybrid varieties in vegetables, this technique is fully capable of saving any natural damage.
- Plant growth can be completely controlled by this method.
- If a seed lot has the ability to germinate, but the energy is less, then it is possible to prepare healthy seedlings from such seeds by this method.
- Less manure and water is required in this method.
- In this method, the growth of the seedlings is made uniform, so that even after transplanting in the main field the growth of the crop is uniform.
- This is the essential and only method of preparing seedlings for protected cultivation of vegetables.